Monday, September 22, 2014

Day 1: Let's make a game in a week!

So the competition started today (yesterday actually since it's 12:11 am right now) and what a day. I couldn't think of an idea for hours! I visited toy stores and played around with the toys and couldn't get a single idea out of it.

The thing is I wanted to capture the feeling of joy that kids experience while using a toy... or even the essence of the toy BUT... toys have no purpose other than bring fun, unlike games(even board games) toys have no objective, no winning or losing condition, no game mechanics.. it's just about having fun. So how do you capture that?

So there I was.. walking around repeating "Toys are alive!" to my self over and over again for hours... and yet no idea. My mind went around on crazy ideas from the toys being mad because kids play games(that makes no sense at all in my humble opinion) to creepy toys chasing you around.

Then at about 7pm it finally came to my mind, the idea I'm sticking with. While I was wearing a silly hat and talking like Rick Grimmes(mostly from exhaustion I guess) I thought "Hey wait a second, why am I talking like Rick Grimmes?.. I guess that's an effect from toys.. they make you feel like someone else.. they help you act out your childish fantasies right? they motivate creativity and imagination!"

Losing no time! I went to my drawing board and began to make some crazy designs about the game mechanics, and I had some good ones.. but the kind of good one's that require a weeks of working. So I'm sticking around with something like an infinite beat them up(I'll explain more of that in the next few days.

Finally at the end of this day I began working on some of the basic game code that I know I'll be needing. As a software developer I'm all against coding before having the complete design of what'll be.. but having losing all that time trying to get an idea I felt like I needed to get some of that time back before the end of day one. Let's hope my decision doesn't backfire later on development!


No comments:

Post a Comment