Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Day 3: Yes it backfired!

So day three already! We're almost halfway through the competition and goddamn it the decision I took of jump right into the code did backfire on me. As I said yesterday I wanted to use this day to finish up the game mechanics into a state of almost everything done, so I could concentrate on making the graphics and finding good sounds.

I think I owe you guys an explanation on my game. First here's another screenshot of the game:


Yes, that's my work from today, I know it looks almost exactly the same(plus some debugging windows HaxeFlixel provides) but I swear! I got work done today!.

My game's basic premise as I said on the first post was to keep on that fantasy of becoming someone or something else. So the main character(the blue square) who at first it was supposed to be a kid but now it's a toy as well can take upon different modules/powers/costumes that change his way to attack the enemies and sometimes even simplify his way to move across the screen (it's actually just one costume that does that but I don't wanna spoil the fun before you get to play it). The objective is to protect the little pink square down there(other toys) from the enemies and kill as many of those damn green squares as you can. Pretty simple!

Alright so the thing is, Haxe being an object oriented language and me loving object oriented programming I created something like this for the basic game structure.



And it was all good in my head.. until I had to deal with everything that makes my game work, things like: the collisions, references and cross references, bullets hitting enemies but not walls, keeping a count of every enemy that you killed.. all those tiny details that I generally plan ahead during the design phase(which I skipped on day one). So long story short.. I messed up! and I had to apply some nasty tricks to make it work.Like global variables and pointers that shouldn't be there and redundant method calls...and oh god the performance issues!

So what's the plan now? Well the issue it's not whether it works, but rather the way it works. I love the game as it is now form the player perspective, but from the developer perspective, it's a god damn mess. So tomorrow I'm gonna have to expend some of the time I had planned for game graphics on a little cleaning up of the code or otherwise I won't be able to fix future bugs that might appear or even add some extra characteristics.

So that's it for today! End of day three.. we're closer to the deadline minute!

4 comments:

  1. I think your idea has some good potential
    Good Luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I appreciate it! Good luck to you too man =)

      Delete
  2. Oh dear! I do hope that you find time to finish this!

    As to the concept itself, it looks rather cool--I like it! ^_^

    -Thaumaturge from GameDev.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I was very worried yesterday but now I think I'll be able to deliver on time!

      Delete